Budgeting for Your Relocation Move
Are you planning a relocation in the near future? If so, you will want to start by preparing a relocation budget.
No matter where you are moving to, you will want to be sure to select a moving and storage company that listens to your needs and works with you to stay within your relocation budget. You will want to meet face-to-face with your Relocation Consultant so that they can actually see what items are being moved, what your packing requirements are, and if you have any special attention items. The last thing you need are surprises and added costs on moving day! Tell your Relocation Consultant how much of the work you want to do yourself. This will allow the moving company to prepare an accurate estimate of the moving costs, and even offer suggestions on additional ways you can save money.
If your move is just across town and your relocation budget is tight, ask your Relocation Consultant for suggestions on ways you can best prepare your home for the movers on moving day. The little things can save time and money.
- Unplug and wrap cords to all electrical items in the home.
- Disassemble all beds and mirrors from dressers.
- Our company provides wardrobe cartons for all hanging clothing. We are happy to pack them for our customers, but many prefer to transfer their clothing themselves while we are moving the heavy items.
- Move all open boxes that are not sealed, the smaller boxes, and plants in your vehicle.
- If moving during the winter months, be sure to have all driveways and walkways shoveled and salted before the truck arrives.
If your relocation will be a long distance move, your budget will involve much more planning. You need to be realistic of taking on too much of the work yourself. For example, if you tell your moving company that you will be doing all of your own packing and do not get it done as planned, it could add hundreds of dollars to your relocation budget. When moving out of state, the driver cannot come back the following day and finish what does not get done. Drivers are assigned loads well in advance and do not usually have an extra day between loading, driving, and their scheduled deliveries.
The following are items that you may want to be sure not to overlook that can highly impact your relocation budget. These are all costs that many individuals do not think of and include when establishing their relocation budget.
- House hunting trips may require flying to your new location to look for a new home. These trips can be expensive and may require car rental costs and overnight stays at a motel. Be sure to include all out-of-town expenses in your budget (meals, airport parking, kennels for your pets, etc.)
- Non-perishable foods, which includes everything in your refrigerator and freezer, will need to be replaced. This can costs several hundreds of dollars.
- Did you leave your appliances at your old residence? Buying $5,000 worth of new appliances in a state that has a 2% higher sales tax will cost you an additional $100 on your purchase.
- Transporting your extra vehicle to your new home can add hundreds of dollars to your relocation budget. The average car carrier price to transport a vehicle from Detroit to Los Angeles is $1,000. Even if you plan to drive the vehicle yourself, be sure to budget for extra gas along the way.
Call the moving professionals at Preferred Moving & Storage to discuss your relocation needs. We are known for taking the time to sit down with our customers and listening to your needs. Our Relocation Consultants are dedicated to helping our customers establish and stay within their relocation budgets.
Preferred Moving and Storage is a reputable, Macomb County mover that is located in Harrison Township, Michigan. We have been providing families with professional moving services for over 28 years. We can be reached at (800) 837-4600 or on-line at www.preferredmoving.net.
About the Author
Henry Cadle is the President of Preferred Moving & Storage located in Harrison Township, Michigan. Henry has over 36 years experience in the moving and storage industry. He is known in the southeastern Michigan region for providing customers with quality, reputable moving service at an affordable price. You can contact Henry Cadle at (800) 837-4600 or visit Preferred Moving & Storage’s website at www.preferredmoving.net.